This exercise is intended to strengthen the muscles responsible for extending the shoulders while engaging or involving the muscles of the core.
Grab an elastic band and try at home!
For this exercise, you will need an elastic band or tubing. Attach the band or tubing to a fixed object or structure.
Hold one end of the tube or band in each hand. While standing with feet spread hip-width apart, squat slightly and stabilize your spine by contracting your core muscles.
If you are recovering from a back injury, or surgery. Or if you just generally have back pain, wearing a back support such as the LumboTrain may aid your exercise performance by providing support to increase back stability.
If shoulder pain is your concern, the Bauerfeind OmoTrain Shoulder Braces can be worn post-injury to stabilise the shoulder joint, as well as during rehabilitation. To protect against further injury.
Follow us here for more at-home strength and injury recovery exercise videos!
What do to after a shoulder injury
The first step after injuring your shoulder is to apply the R.I.C.E method:
- Rest: Avoid doing anything that may overstress your knees
- Ice: Icing your knees can help reduce inflammation and, therefore, swelling
- Compress: Compression, in the same way as ice, can help reduce inflammation and swelling; a knee brace is an excellent option as it not only provides support but also applies pressure to your knee
- Elevate: Raising the injured leg whenever possible (e.g. when you’re asleep) helps reduce swelling
Once the swelling has gone down and you are no longer in pain, shoulder exercises can help prevent futher issues or damage. It could seem counterintuitive, however (with the approval of your medical practitioner or physio), light exercises will help rebuild muscle and speed up recovery.
Some examples of these exercises are:
- Doorway Stretch: standing in a door with your arm bent at 90 degrees. Lean your inner-forearm on the doorframe and push your body forward as you feel the stretch on your shoulder.
- Wall push-ups: these modified push-ups can help to slowly rebuild muscle stability in the shoulders.
- Overhead ball raise: holding a light exercise, keep your arms straight and lift the ball up over your head. Hold for 1-2 seconds. Lower and repeat.
- Opposite leg and arm raises: start on the floor, on your hands and knees with your back straight. Raise your right arm straight out in front of you, and then at the same time, lift your left leg straight out behind you. Continue with opposite arm to leg, moving slowly throughout.
Do you have private health? Most private health extras will cover Bauerfeind Products, check to see if yours is included. Bauerfeind Private Health Insurance Inquiry.
Bauerfeind products are developed at our innovation and manufacturing facility in Zeulenroda, Germany. Based on years of scientific research, our award-winning braces and support garments are highly recommended by medical professionals and athletes worldwide.
For assistance selecting the right product for your needs, book a video consultation with a Bauerfeind expert: Book Video Call, or call us on 1300 668 466