It is always frustrating when knee pain and discomfort hold you back from training. Fortunately, the stabilisation and pain relief offered by knee straps can go a long way to helping you recover from the condition and get back to running at your best.
ANATOMY OF PATELLA TENDONITIS
The patellar tendon connects your kneecap to your shin bone. It works with your leg muscles to help you extend your knee, letting you kick, jump, and run.
As you exercise and place stress on the tendon, it may develop microscopic tears. While these are generally not much to worry about, too much exercise with too little rest will make them stack up. Eventually, you may get inflammation, pain, and stiffness.
Initially, you may only feel pain as you start warming up or running. But if you allow the condition to progress without intervention, the pain will worsen over time and may even complicate everyday daily activities like walking up the stairs.
So, as you can imagine, it’s best to catch it and address it as early as possible.
HOW DO KNEE SRTAPS HELP?
The results of an independent study by the University of Groningen show that Knee Straps can reduce pain by 28%. Our very own GenuPoint Kee Strap does so by combining a specialised viscoelastic pad and an adjustable strap.
- The pad contains five massaging pressure points to reduce pressure on the patella tendon and relieve pain.
- The inner pressure points of the pad guide and support the knee cap, reducing damaging movements. They also help reduce inflammation typical of the condition.
- Lastly, the pad’s outer pressure points actively stimulate the patellar tendon, thus boosting the knee’s sensorimotor function.
HOW TO PICK THE BEST KNEE STRAP FOR YOU
Using a Patellar Tendonitis Brace can alleviate pain, but it is essential to choose the right one.
- The strap should have an anatomically contoured design and fit snugly to your knee so it stays firmly in place through movement. Our GenuPoint Knee Strap ensures a perfect fit with its individually adaptable and adjustable strap system and 3 sizes. It makes sure that everything is in the right place and stays put.
- Always opt for quality made. Unfortunately, one-size-fits-most braces and supports made of subpar materials likely won’t be as effective in relieving patella tendonitis pain. Such braces and straps are prone to slipping, causing moisture build-up and, in some cases, irritation.
- You should also ensure that a strap is what’s best for your case. Straps make great active supports, supporting your kneecap and relieving pain as you run. But for all-day wear or in more serious patellar tendonitis cases, a brace like the GenuTrain may be the better option.
GenuPoint Knee Strap
OTHER TIPS FOR RELIEVING PATELLAR TENDONITIS PAIN
- Lowering the intensity of activities for a few days would be beneficial to avoid further strain and damage. Activities such as running, jumping, or sports requiring sudden changes of direction should be replaced with gentler activities such as cycling and rowing.
- The patella is embedded in the tendon of the anterior thigh muscle, which causes discomfort when there is tension. Regular stretching can provide relief.
- Apply the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) method to help the tissue heal and relieve swelling.
- Once diagnosed professionally, depending on how severe the patellar tendonitis is, you may be recommended to try treatments such as physiotherapy, ultrasound, electrotherapy, shockwave, and manual therapy. These treatments can reduce strain and help the knee joint get used to movement carefully.
TO SUM UP
Patellar Tendonitis is unfortunately common among runners. Luckily, wearing a patella knee strap can help. It will help stabilise the kneecap, improve sensorimotor function, and reduce pain and swelling. Remember that not every knee strap is equal and that it’s important to combine strapping with RICE.
If you require assistance selecting the right product for your needs or wearing the brace, call us on 1300 668 466 or contact us via live chat.
Do you have private health? Most private health extras will cover Bauerfeind Products. Check to see if yours is included. Bauerfeind Private Health Insurance Inquiry.