Running After Knee Surgery Braces
COMING BACK TO RUNNING AFTER A KNEE SURGERY
Arthroscopic knee surgery such as ACL reconstruction, meniscectomy or microfracture, patellar/quadricep tendon repair and knee replacement surgery are common surgical procedures conducted on the knee.
Depending on the severity of the knee injury and the knee surgery, recovery periods can take 3-12 weeks or up to 9-12 months.
Post-operative care with appropriate rehabilitation programme is crucial for a speedy recovery and smooth functioning of the knee joint. Avoid kneeling, squatting and sports activities which produce extra pressure on the knee.
To return back to running, we recommend a graded return. This means you start slowly initially and increase the intensity of running gradually.
Initially, start with jogging instead of running. Allow a rest day between your running days.
You can choose to perform other activities such as swimming for an active rest day. Due to the buoyancy force from water, swimming is gentler on the knee joint than running.
Pay attention to any swellings which might develop post-run. We recommend using an advanced orthosis SecuTec Genu for post-op care after knee surgery.
The hard frame of the orthosis restricts the range of motion for the knee for rehabilitating the knee post surgery. After fully recovering from the surgery, we recommend wearing Genutrain during sports and everyday activities to prevent relapse.
View this post on Instagram
These mountains aren’t going to climb themself. #motionislife . . . . . . #bauerfeindsports #sports #football #training #bauerfeindaustralia #fitness #supports #braces #shoulder #pain #australia #sydney #retail #bauerfeind #comfort #workout #wrist #knee #brace #shop #insoles #compressions #germanmade #gym #sportswear #crossfit #running #compressionwear
BEST KNEE BRACES FOR POST-OP CARE AFTER A KNEE SURGERY
A functional orthosis for the external stabilisation of the knee joint to get back into surfing and running after a knee surgery.
A torn ligament, collateral ligament injury or operation on the meniscus can mean that the knee joint needs to be stabilised externally for a period of time. The SecuTec Genu hinged knee brace is a lightweight but sturdy knee orthosis, designed to fit the anatomy of the leg.
The SecuTec Genu is ideal for stabilistion of instabilities after rupturing the anterior and/or posterior cruciate ligament, after ligament surgery/syndesmoplasty, complex traumatic or degenerative instabilities, to restrict the range of movement of the knee (for example, after collateral ligament injuries, meniscal suturing or meniscal implantation).
GenuTrain Knee Brace
An award-winning knee brace that provides targeted support for pain relief and stabilisation of the knee.
If your knee is weak, swollen, painful or recovering from an injury, the Bauerfeind GenuTrain knee brace will help provide you with relief and stability.
- Three-dimensional active knit for an ideal fit and optimal neuromuscular joint stabilization
- Omega pad improves neuromuscular joint stabilization
- Meniscus wings to help relieve meniscus pain
- Hoffa pads provide pressure relief
- Fits either leg the same version can be used for right and left
- Moisture wicking fabric for all day comfort
GenuTrain P3 Knee Brace
An advanced knee brace for pain and misalignment of the kneecap, often caused by injury related to sports
The GenuTrain P3 is ideal for pain caused by misalignment of the kneecap (patellar lateralisation), femoropatellar pain syndrome (anterior knee pain), ACL and MCL injury or pain associated with patellar tip syndrome.
The unique 3D weave is breathable and moisture wicking providing all day comfort and helping in your runs after a knee inury,
- Patella cover
- Pad wing
- Ring-shaped soft pad
- Wedge-shaped Hoffa soft pads
GenuTrain S Hinged Knee Brace
An active knee brace designed especially for active seniors who need support of complex, chronic arthritic knee pain.
The hinged knee brace was engineered using Bauerfeind’s gradient compression, lateral joint splints and a viscoelastic pad to provide active protection of the knee.
- Three-dimensional fabric – Automatically conforms to the body’s natural shape for ideal fit and optimal joint stabilisation.
- Joint side bars – Straps connect directly to side bars for superior stability in the knee and surrounding area.
- Viscoelastic pads – Provides a massage effect during movement.
- Soft knit fabric – Breathable knit is comfortable to wear and keeps moisture away from the body.
HOW TO TREAT KNEE PAIN CAUSED AFTER RUNNING?
If your knee swells up after running or you are suffering through mild knee pain, it is possible you might have overworked and exhausted the knee joint.
- Regularly apply ice packs to the affected area of the knee joint. This will aid in reducing swelling and pain.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises, especially for your quadriceps and knee muscles. Consult your physiotherapist for a rehabilitation programme.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and analgesics may be helpful.
- If the pain is severe or persistent, we recommend consulting your orthopaedic surgeon or your doctor.